Recipes/Cooking » HOW TO PREPARE OFE NSALA. by: Tony4mega(m) .:. Fri, 14 Feb, 2020 - 07:41:45:pm GMT
Ofe Nsala Ingredients
- 1 big Catfish
- 8 small pieces white yam
- 5 Utazi leaves
- 2 small seasoning cubes
- Small piece of ogiri okpei
- A handful crayfish
- Habanero pepper (to taste)
- Salt (if necessary)
BEFORE YOU PREPARE OFE NSALA
- Usually when you buy catfish in Nigerian markets, the sellers will kill and cut it up for you. or you kill and cut it your self to the sizes you want.
- When you get home, boil hot water and pour on the pieces of fish to remove the slime on the fish as well as toughen them. You want to toughen the catfish so it does not disintegrate in the soup.
- Quickly rinse off the slime with cool water and place the fish in the cooking pot.
- Peel the yam and cut into medium pieces.
- Chop the utazi and pound in a mortar with the pepper, ogiri okpei and crayfish. Just give them a rough pound. Same with if you are using a blender.
DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING OFE NSALA
- Add the seasoning cubes (crushed) to the pot of fish.
- Add the pieces of yam.
- Pour water to cover everything and start cooking.
- When the yam is soft and moist, bring them out and place in a mortar.
- Add the pounded crayfish, pepper, ogiri okpei and utazi into the pot of fish and continue cooking.
- Pound the cooked yam in a mortar till smooth and stretchy.
- Add the yam into the pot of Ofe Nsala in small lumps, cover and continue cooking.
- Once the yam dissolves and thickens the soup, it is done. If you achieve medium consistency before all the yam is dissolved, take out the undissolved yam because you do not want the Ofe Nsala to be too thick.
- Add salt if necessary, stir very well and that's it!
Soup is ready to be served with pounded yam.
**Let love lead**